It’s all “full circle” – life is full circle. I get where ASP was trying to go with this. It’s life – it’s messy and unpredictable and hard to figure out and nobody makes exactly the choices that you want them to or that you would necessarily make. But I have a little bit of a different interpretation of the whole full circle thing. Read my thoughts on the “full circle” theory here!
Get your pitchforks ready yall because you might not like to hear what I have to say next. Gilmore Girls is a TV show that fans have come to love and adore. I felt a little bit like ASP (the creator) was finishing the story for herself and not really caring about what the fans thought or said – which to me is the whole point of a TV show – it is for the fans, right? If it was all for her then why not just keep it to herself? This revival was supposed to give fans closure, but it really only left us with more questions. The storyline with Logan and Rory’s relationship was anything but regression from the characters that they grew to be in season 7. It was kind of confusing on how they got back to that point. I’ve read that ASP didn’t even watch season 7 – which is evident in where she took the characters – but it seems a little (I hate to use the word) caddy to dismiss where the characters were at in season 7 just because she didn’t write it and that isn’t how she envisioned it. I think it was hard on some fans that we were looking at this as a continuance from season 7, but for ASP this was her season 7 so all of the character development seemed as though it was excluded. It was kind of confusing without any explanation of how we got in to the whole Rory/Logan relationship situation. Read my thoughts about Rory’s relationships here.
I did really like Lorelai’s storyline though. She grew so much and had great realizations at that point in her life and it was super fulfilling to see her find herself and move forward in life with Luke. I LOVED Emily’s storyline. I thought she handled Richard’s death and the new chapter of her life so amazingly well. It was pretty inspiring to see!
Overall, it was so great to see all of these characters again! I think there was quite a bit of just random filler scenes that didn’t go anywhere or have any point. I was left with SO questions from the Gilmore Girls Revival. There are probably more I just can’t think of them right now!
- Who wrote that mean letter to Emily on her birthday? This was such a big situation during therapy yet we never hear about it again?
- What was the whole deal with the sewer system? Why was that even in the show? It seemed it had no point other than to have Taylor be same ol’ Taylor.
- What was the deal with Lorelai’s car being in the shop? What purpose did that serve?
- What was the deal with the whole musical thing? I mean, I wanted to gouge my eye and ears out during this portion of the show. SO annoying and honestly a waste of time.
- Who vandalized the pool shack? Why did it matter?
- Why even have the whole talk about Michel not sure if he wants kids? They never go back to this and it is unclear what he even decides.
- Why is Rory so broke? And if she is broke why would she take a job at the gazette for free? How does she live?
- Why is Logan back under his father’s thumb? There was huge character development with Logan in season 7 that seemed to completely go down the drain with no explanation.
- Why are Paris and Doyle on the outs? If I could have said any couple would make it, it would have been them. There is no resolution to their situation and never saw how they ended up.
- Why have the part about Paris seeing Tristan? That seemed like a complete over exaggeration. I don’t get this at all.
- Why was Sookie all weird and living in that commune place?
My favorite part was the Life & Death Brigade swooping in to give Rory a pick-me-up because she was feeling so lost and down about her life. I think this shows that they really do care about her and they will all always be there for one another. Finn & Colin have always been two of my favorite characters and it was great to see them back running amuck! The song “I get by with a little help from my friends” was absolute perfection for their fun segment.
Would you stand up and walk out on me?
Lend me your ears and I’ll sing you a song
And I’ll try not to sing out of key.
The song just perfect for what Rory needed in her life. She was going to get by with a little help from her friends. When Rory said her goodbyes to the LDB my heart sank. They were such a great chapter of her life. I would kill to have that kind of friendship and relationship that would drop whatever to help you through a rut by giving you what you need even if that is only a little wild night full of fun, laughter and love.