You’ll love this no bake Chocolate Eclair dessert!
I really am SO thankful to have such an amazing mother-in-law who shared this recipe with me! She is so great – I couldn’t have asked for a better second family! It is fun to be able to take the recipes Caleb grew up with and introduce them in to my family and be able to have them when we have kids (and no, family reading this – that is not a hint we are having kids anytime soon hahaha!). In my immediate family we are pretty set in our ways. We like the food we grew up eating. Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and creamed peas – why have any other combination of food? That is what works. Why fix what isn’t broken? :) We don’t branch out much from the good ole’ family recipes. I am so guilty of throwing up an eyebrow in speculation of my in-laws eating habits. Haha! Like steak for example – they eat it smothered with some odd mustard concoction out of a butter tub. I’m sure it’s delicious, but stubborn me has never even tried it! :P
Over the years I’ve heard of my in-laws famous Chocolate Eclair dessert, but typically working weekends photographing weddings I’ve missed countless birthday parties and special events. I hadn’t actually eaten the Chocolate Eclair dessert until my husband’s birthday this past year.
This is one of the best desserts I’ve ever had! And it is a no bake so it is SO easy to make. Mind you even though there are only a handful of ingredients I still managed to mess it up! haha! I made the Chocolate Eclair dessert to my family’s Thanksgiving and they all loved it so much! My little family branched out and ate something besides my Mom’s pumpkin pie and chocolate pie. *Pat on the back* But let’s be honest – no dessert will ever replace my Mom’s pumpkin and chocolate pie! :P But we are making great strides introducing new recipes. My Mom even asked for the Chocolate Eclair dessert as her ‘birthday cake’ this year!
Chocolate Eclair Dessert
1 box of graham crackers
1 large box of vanilla instant pudding
2 1/2 cups of milk
8 oz container of cool whip
1 cup sugar
1 stick of butter or margarine
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1/4 cup of milk
- Combine 2 1/2 cups milk & instant pudding – mix well with whisk.
- Mix in whole container of cool whip
- In a 9×13 baking dish layer graham crackers & filling mixture. Start with a layer of graham cracker covering the bottom of the dish then pudding. You will end up with 3 layers of graham cracker & 2 layers of pudding. Graham crackers will be the top layer.
- In a small sauce pan add sugar & cocoa powder.
- Slowly add milk to help ingredients melt.
- Slice butter and add to the pan slowly.
- Bring sauce to a boil for 1 minute while stirring slowly. Be sure to continually stir to avoid sticking and burning at the bottom of the pan.
- Add in vanilla.
- Pour chocolate sauce over the graham cracker layer. Be sure to cover the graham cracker layer completely.
- Enjoy with loved ones!