If you follow me on Facebook or Instagram – you will probably notice my love of flower crowns and most things carefree, colorful and whimsical! Flower crowns are something that you do not have to spend a lot of money on. You can easily make one for yourself. They are perfect for concerts, photo sessions or whatever tickles your fancy! You can hop on Etsy and buy one of these suckers for about $20-25 bucks (plus shipping) – but making one at home will cost you only about $10 depending on the type of flowers you want to use!
1. Go to your local florist or craft store to purchase your flowers. You can get a variety of flowers like the flower crown above or use one flower to make a statement. You can create a flower crown with artificial or real flowers, whichever you prefer! I grabbed these faux flowers from Hobby Lobby – typically on sale and if not the Hobby Lobby app always has a 40% discount code! :)
2. You will need floral tape and floral wire. These two items are only a couple of bucks and they both go a long way. You will be able to make several flower crowns with each of these!
3. Roughly measure how you want the crown to fit on your head and wrap the wire around several times (4-5) to create a strong foundation.
4. Take the end of the floral wire and wrap it around the bottom of the crown to secure all of the layers together. Make sure you don’t have a piece of floral wire sticking out while it’s sitting on your head – OUCH! I learned that the hard way! =]
5. You’re almost there! Now, for the fun part! Take the flowers off of the stems leaving a little bit to bind the flowers together – you might need wire cutters depending on what type of flower you decided to use. Create small bundles of flowers.
6. Now that you have bundles of flowers secure them together with some floral wire. Be sure to stagger the flowers to create a flowing crown all the way around.