Ever come across those rare human beings who don’t devour anything and everything chocolate? Well, I happen to be married to one. It boggles my mind! Chocolate is always my number 1 go-to, but since my hubby has been away for a week I wanted to surprise him with a little homecoming (and of course I went over the top with a present and a welcome home banner hahaha). I love a good shindig – even if its just for two. :] You have to try this very easy, yummy Cinnamon Apple Upside-down Cake recipe!
Anyways, not only does he not like chocolate that much he doesn’t really like “cake” either. I know, tell me about it… ;] So dessert recipes that cater to his taste buds are always few and far between. It is always fun searching for new things to try out! If you or someone you cook for his like him, keep an eye out on the blog because I am always trying to cook stuff up to spoil him! :]
Okay, so does that not look like a frog in the batter? I’m 84% sure that is the Disney cartoon character from Princess and the Frog..
This cake was a lovely – literally it looked so great (not to mention smelled delicious). It gave me major confidence points in the baking department. We have been eating it all day long. My hubby actually ate it for breakfast this morning.. I paired it with some classic Blue Bell homemade vanilla ice cream last night and it definitely satisfied my sweet tooth! :]
The big challenge for this cake was the “upside-down” part. After letting it cool for about 15 minutes in the pan you need to turn the pan over. My ‘flipping the pan upside down’ was equivalent to a child trying to jump in the pool for the first time. They have the confidence “I can do this!”, run up to the edge and then at the last minute chicken out. I had several of those moments trying to flip this pan. After several minutes of convincing myself with many different pep talks – I finally did it! :] It fortunately was very easy and not as messy as I thought!
Here’s the recipe:
- ¼ cup butter
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cut into ½-inch wedges
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray an 9 inch round or square pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan melt ¼ cup butter over medium heat until melted. Add the brown sugar. Bring it to a boil and remove from heat. Stir in ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon. Pour into the bottom of the greased pan. Arrange the apples over the brown sugar mixture.
- In a medium size bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, ½ teaspoon cinnamon and salt. Set bowl aside.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat together 1 cup sugar, and ½ cup butter on medium speed until fluffy. Add in eggs and vanilla.
- Beat in flour mixture alternating with the milk until smooth. Pour the batter over the apples and spread evenly.
- Bake 55-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Run knife along the edges of the cake and flip upside down on a pan. Serve warm with whipped cream on top.
- You can choose to pair this delicious cake with whip cream or vanilla ice cream!
This recipe is from Betty Crocker Cookbook